Head Modelling

So, Head Modelling.  In this post I’ll basically run through my research, process and experimentation with this project. Let’s start at the beginning. My partner is Alistair, and this is both a good and a bad thing. It’s good, because he has a very defined head shape and allows me to see clearly how to form my model. It’s BAD because his head is so well-shaped that it kind of just looks like a default head shape tool. I began working in Maya, as opposed to a sculpting software. This allowed me to get a decent understanding of head topology and shape before going nuts with digital clay. I was following this tutorial:

In the beginning I used my reference images to create the basic shape, and I think that I got the lower facial region to look decent. Then as I got fed up and finished the rest of the scalp and forehead it became a Star Trek character:

Ali

(This version is included within the submission)

It was at this stage I decided I needed to take the head to ZBrush, so I added a neck and exported it as an .obj file. After quickly learning how to basically navigate ZBrush, I started playing around with the head. The results were…interesting:

Blob.png

I even ended up with a version that looked like Voldemort from Harry Potter.

Voldemort

Eventually I got a shape and level of detail that I called finished. Had I more time, I would have liked to add finer detail. I had also lost the “Alistair” in the sculpt, which I tuned up a bit back in Maya.

Sculpt.png

While transferring back to Maya, I knew that I would lose the sculpt detail. I’d been sitting in with Gianni from second year a lot and learning about sculpting and topology from him which is how I found out about Normal Maps. I decided to give it a go using some tutorials:

This was the result of my normal map attempt (below). It looks less flat, but the details are in the wrong places and jumbled so I must have done something wrong. Still, something to play about with over summer.

Nrom

The normal map looked really off, but I could see levels of depth in the skin. This was included in the submission file.

 

Then it was time to start topology. I had seen Gianni do this on his other models and this was my first time getting really hands on with it. I realise I could have used the mesh from my first maya model as the topology on this head but I wanted to re-do it properly. The relax tool became my best friend. I looked up several references for this, and was shown a good example by Becca:

 

Mouth.PNGTopo.PNG

 

Retopo

A progress image

Here you can see the Before and After topology:

 

I didn’t want to try an ear because I was running out of time, a project for another day.

I realise that there are most likely a few problems with this such as (well, the ear or lack there of) and maybe a few poles that could have been avoided. I used reference and advice from Gianni on where to position a lot of the poles that would cause problems for animation.

This was the final result:

*Pic of final render*

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s