So for our third Maya experiment we were allowed to model anything of our choosing. If you read my last Maya post you might remember me saying that if I wanna make something fun I’ll usually try to incorporate Pokemon in it somehow. I was going to try something a little more complicated but I went for the guy above because of his simple shape and that I want to attempt to rig him. I feel like rigging him won’t be as hard as something with a few limbs so I’ll see how that goes when I’m finished modelling him.
I started by downloading the official art of him from Bulbapedia and taking it to Photoshop to create an orthographic turnaround. From there I took each individual plane and created image planes in Maya. This allowed me to get an accurate representation of scale and shape. Previously when attempting this model, I was going about it by creating a flat cylinder and removing the centre vertex…horrible idea. Instead, Becca Blair pointed me in the right direction and whipped up a quick step by step to get from a cube to his body shape.
At this point I was ready to attempt my own, so this was my Exeggutor Body:
Soon after I modelled the tail and made a start on his leafy afro. I made one of the leaves (Seen on far right) and duplicated it with a few transformations to create a variations.
Today I finished the Exeggutor model and set up some lighting to render a few stills. I kept one model in it’s default ‘T-Pose’ for later re-use and duplicated it so I could pose the second one for a more interesting image. I’m fairly happy with the result but will inevitably find more and more wrong with it as I learn Maya; but for now I consider it a success.